Friday, January 07, 2011

Vintage Buttons

While organizing my sewing room, I created a new way for stowing all the buttons I have collected. Like my lace find, I had an amazing button find at Goodwill. For $6 I purchased hundreds of assorted buttons, snaps, button covers, hooks and eyes, and miscellaneous fastenings. Most buttons are vintage. I took them off cards advertising them for $0.50 or less. I don't know enough about buttons to know whether any are antiques. I have lots of metal buttons, an equal amount of gold and silver.

Although I sorted and grouped the buttons by colors shortly after I purchased them, all of these buttons have been sitting around my sewing room in a gigantic plastic bag. After cleaning off my half of the sewing desk, I decided it was time to display these gorgeous vintage buttons instead of shoving them to the back of the closet.
blue and red button jars diy
I purchased a dozen of small glass jam jars at Goodwill. They worked perfectly for displaying the buttons. Of course I was not satisfied with the fruit decorating the tops of the lids, so I created my own fabric lids. Each lid corresponds to the color of the buttons inside.
fabric button jar lids
I stacked them in various arrangements before deciding on the classic pyramid.
stacked button jars
Now that they're all organized I just have to decide what to do with them! I have a button for everything. I think they'll be used in my sewing or in my embroidery. I might even make a button tree.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...