Saturday, February 16, 2008

It's been a good knitting day

I've knit another 40ish rows on the Kimono Shawl today, most of that while listening to the Pride and Prejudice audiobook! When other knitters swore by how wonderful audiobooks were to listen to while knitting, I tried to listen to one. It was painful, as I found out that I am very picky about the speaker. But this whole LibriVox thing is amazing! I'm already 1/3 of the way through Pride and Prejudice, and I love the speaker. Best of all, it's completely free!

I also decided I should check my Bloglines, which haven't been checked in a very long time. I have over 1062 posts to read. Yikes. I think I may just read my most favorite blogs, then tell it to mark all others as read. I'd rather use the time spent on reading 1062 posts knitting.

Recently, I've been planning for my first sweater. I've made Soleil, which was my first sweater-like garment, but that's the largest thing I've ever made. Due to lack of funds, I think it's in my best interest to make larger projects (such as shawls and sweaters), rather than buying lots of different yarns for smaller projects such as hats, gloves, and socks. I have a few sock yarns stashed, so I will continue living out of my stash. However, my rule is that when I finish a project or two I can buy yarn for another one. Now instead of buying yarn for the smaller projects, I'll buy it for larger ones. I can make a pair of socks for ~$22, or I can make a six foot shawl for $30, and spend many more hours knitting it. Next month (ie. next paycheck) I'm going to go check out Yarnia, which is an amazing concept for a yarn store and will be a very cheap way to get a lot of yarn for sweaters or lace. I would go right now, but I didn't start working until late January, so my paycheck for this month was a bit thin, and it has to last me until March 15. How I hate monthly paychecks.

2 comments:

wendy said...

I'm glad you to switched to blogger so I can leave you comments.lol.
Librovox has Pride and Prejudice...awesome, I need to go download that!

Scarlett said...

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog and commenting so nicely.

I like your drawings and I am a knitter as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...