Monday, December 27, 2010

Aquamarine and Gold Necklace

This is the first beaded project I've done in a while. I've been so caught up in knitting, embroidery, and sewing that I have neglected my beading.

I went to the Gem Faire early this year and decided to make my mother a necklace as a Mother's Day/Christmas present. I purchased the aquamarine beads, pendant, 14k gold beads, and clear crystal beads. However, I didn't buy any gold clasps nor wire to string it on. This project has been sitting in my craft closet for a while, just waiting to be finished. I had nearly everything I needed, so I couldn't just leave it lying around. So I made it for my Mom for Christmas.


It took me a surprisingly long amount of time to find the right combination of aquamarine beads to gold to crystal. I don't usually do a lot of bead stringing, and instead often favor bead stitching (ie. peyote stitching) so this was a good experience. It reinforced the idea that while bead stringing may be easier than stitching, it can take just as much time to find the correct arrangement as it does to stitch a piece. I went through iteration after iteration before finally deciding. I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and since I have a few aquamarine beads left over I hope to make a necklace for myself.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...