Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A project update

Here's a project update for everyone; on some of these I've never posted pics.
First of all, let's start with the good (FO's)

And although it may look like it, the ribbing is not crooked, I just didn't straighten it out before I took the picture.

Yarn: Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande
Color: 401 (also known as gray)
Yardage: 110 and I still have a little left over. I really need to get a scale.
Dyelot: Like you care? (65111 if you do)
Gauge: Didn't do one. That's right, you heard me. The world can fall off it's axis now.
Pattern: Mine. See? Bet you're regretting calling me a lunatic for not doing a gauge swatch now! (For those who just dying to know, the yarn gets 3 sts per inch on a US 10.5.

Conclusion: Soft. It would be heavenly for anyone else, but for me this translates to it would be really soft on my hands, sort of soft on my head, and really really scratchy on my neck.

The fun (WIP's)
Yarn: Blue Moon Seduction
Color: Sapphire
Type: Merino/Tencel blend, beautiful and soft
Yardage: 400 yds
Gauge: Um, I did one and it matched the pattern, but I kind of forgot to document it.
Needle Size: Um, same. I think it's a US 2. I'll check when I'm done.
Pattern: Snicket Socks by Sabine Riefler on Magknits.


Beginning Impressions: Very soft, and as is hinted at by the photo, it actually has quite a bit of color to it; it's not just blue. Pattern is complicated enough to keep me interested, but repetitive enough that I can just glance at the pattern and then work the round. Also very easy to read what is to come next, once you get the hang of it. I really like it. I decided to make them really tall, which may bite me later as I have huge calves and this yarn is $34.00 a skein. Learning how to cable without a cable needle is essential for this kind of project with these kinds of cables, I think. It's only a one cross cable, and it's very easy to learn to do without a cable needle. A cable needle would really slow you down.

Yarn: Cascade 220
Colors: The heathered lime green and the normal dark bluish color (specific, huh! :D)
Yardage: It's called 220 for a reason.
Gauge:
It doesn't matter too much for this project.
Pattern: Argyle Stocking from Knit Christmas Stockings!
For: My father. Originally for Christmas 2006, but it may be '07 before I finish it.

Initial Conclusion: I like 220 for everything except something that would go directly on my skin. It's great for felting, for bags, for anything else but clothing. The pattern is beautiful, the chart is easy to follow, but I've momentarily lost interest in fair isle, so hopefully I can get inspired quickly so I can work on this. Believe it or not, this is only one repeat of the chart. I have a lot more to go, and not much time to do it in. I'd really like to finish it by Xmas '06, but I don't know if that will happen.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...