Wednesday, March 21, 2007

It's been a while

I know it's been over a week since I last posted, but I promise you, I come ready with excuses! Last week was a bit insane due to my huge essay midterm (write 2 complete essays (including thesis statements) in an hour and a half as well as write the answers to the 'short answer' questions, which mean paragraphs), so I wasn't able to post then.

But at the heart of the matter is that this is a crafting blog, and for the last week and a half, I have been unable to knit, spin, and until a few days ago, bead. I injured my thumb on Sunday the 11th, and it's currently in a brace. When I went to the health center on ca

mpus they said that it was probably a weird sprain, but that if it got worse or didn't get better within a week, to come back in and they'd refer me to the hospital to get an x-ray. It was worse by Wednesday, so I made an appointment for Thursday only to have it canceled because the practitioner was sick. The woman on the phone brushed me off, saying since I couldn't remember doing anything to it that it was almost assuredly not a break, so I shouldn't come back in. Yet come Tuesday of the next week, it was even worse, even with taking 1800-2400mg of Ibuprofen a day. Yes, you read that correctly. The practitioner prescribed me 9-12 pills of Advil a day. So today I'm going in again to see the nurse practitioner, and hopefully get a referral to get an x-ray.

Don't worry though; there will still be lots of pictures and other things!

Anyways, since my thumb is out of commission, my crafting has been incredibly reduced. The only thing I can do is bead, and even that is quite a bit slower and more awkward than normal. I have made a few things though, and I can show you the knitting I was working on before I injured my thumb.

I'm using Essential Solid (75% Superwash wool, 25% Nylon) in Burgundy, which is ridiculously soft. It looks like this yarn may be

prone to pilling, but we'll see. I'm using one of my Lantern Moon

bamboo circs, which I use when I do cables without a cable needle on socks.

As for beading, I made some Bluebell earrings.


I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but a few weeks ago when my sister and I went to Buffalo Exchange, I found an incredible purse. And I do mean incredible. 100% real leather (it creaks and everything!) that has been carved/burned into a beautiful rose design.

The detail on this bag is simply amazing. I think it's relatively old, although if anyone can contradict that, I'd be happy to know. I am completely in love with this bag. It's common knowledge in my family that I'm an avid bag collector; I just love having new purses. I am a bit picky though. Any bag has to fill several criteria. One, it has to be unique. I try to avoid the bags you find at Sears, or everywhere. You know the ones, the ones that although they may be made by different companies, they all look the same. Two, it has to be colorful. And obviously, I have to love it.Those are really my only criteria, but you'd be surprised how much that eliminates. Of course, if the bag is so extremely colorful it may overpower the fact that I found it at Macy's. But even then, because it's so colorful, not that many people will have it, at least in the surrounding area.

This Saturday I went to see the Plain White T's. Since it was an all ages concert and it was St. Patricks day (Portland really gets into it) there were a lot of high schoolers there; a few too many for my tastes. However, the concert was amazing. I moshed for hours in the pit, so when I came back I was exhausted. I was going to buy their cd, but I figured since I can buy that anywhere I'd get a tshirt instead. I'll have to pick up their CD later.

I'm going home on Friday! Go spring break!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...