Friday, December 01, 2006

I made yarn!

Look what I made! It's a 165 yds of two ply merino yarn!


Isn't it beautiful! I spun that! It's my first plied yarn, the first single even that I worked on since the whole spinning thing clicked. I've been working on this for the past 2-3 weeks. A spindle makes an ounce or two last a long time. It was a whole lot of fun though, and very relaxing. I could just stand/sit there and spin, but because I love multitasking, I would spin while on the computer, watching tv, or talking on the phone (although that quickly starting cramping my neck). I spun a laceweight single, then Andean plied it by winding it into a center pull ball, then rewinding the ball using both the inner and outer strand in order to make plying easier. I then plied! Plying goes pretty quickly, although it seemed that winding the newly plied yarn onto the spindle took a lot more time than actually plying it.
Here's a penny in order to show the scale of the single. In a few parts it was a little larger than this or literally sewing thread thin, but the majority of it was this width.
And here's a closeup of the color. I actually saved a little bit of roving to
make a bulky weight version of this. Part way through spinning the lightweight single I figured out that if I wanted to create one of my favorite looks right now, the barberpole, using this roving I would need to draft a single about 4 times as large as this one. So I'll try that soon, but right now I'm a bit tired of this roving, so my next spinning adventure, which I will start either today or tomorrow, is the start of my sampling. I decided since I can spin a continuous yarn that I would start trying out a little bit of each fiber to see how I like them. The first one I'm going to try is soysilk.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...